Sunday, January 10

Meme: 55 Questions on Books

Many people have already taken this book meme which sounded very interesting. I thought I would do it near the EOY which might serve as a summary of the books that I read last year (2015). So here it goes.


1. Favourite childhood book?

Hardy Boys

2. What are you reading right now?

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky. See you next year :P

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

So far two


  1. Aadujeevitham - Benyamin
  2. Sufi Paranja Katha - K.B. Ramanunni

Both are malayalam BTW.

4. Bad book habit?

Reading Bad Books isn't habitual. It's accidental. (See what I did there ;) )

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

Complete works of Brothers Grimm.

6. Do you have an e-reader?

Google play books.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

One at a time.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

Somewhat.

9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far?)

Dubliners - James Joyce.

10. Favourite book you’ve read this year?

Vilimbil (lit. On the edge) - La.Sa. Ramaamirtham.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?

Don't know what's my comfort zone.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?

Refer question 11.

13. Can you read on the bus?

Of course I can. I can read anywhere. If you're talking about books then yes.

14. Favourite place to read?

Home.

15. What is your policy on book lending?

Lent one. Regretting still.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?

All the time. Reduced recently as I got a bookmarks. I have an OCD when it comes to bookmarking

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

No

18. Not even with text books?

Always in text books.

19. What is your favourite language to read in?

Tamil.

20. What makes you love a book?

A book that transcends the traditional confines of prose/poetry.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

Depends on who I am recommending to.

22. Favourite genre?

Literary Fiction

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)

Political Non-fiction

24. Favourite biography?

Not read any completely. I remember starting "Heavier than Heaven" but didn't finish it. I wouldn't call that my favourite anyway.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

Yes

26. Favourite cookbook?

I have 3 cookbooks written by the attami-putting Mallika Badrinath ;)

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?

Inspirational when it comes to writing style - If on a Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino.

28. Favourite reading snack?

None.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

If you mean to list by book then there are many. Some listed here


  1. Anjalai - Kanmani Gunasekaran
  2. Nalabaagam - Thi.Jaanakiraaman
  3. Dubliners - James Joyce

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

Occasionally.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

A review must be taken objectively and any gradation of "bad" can only be discussed in a relative context. I don't believe a true objective review can be negative or positive.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?

French. Hands down. Urdu comes to a close second. When it comes Indian languages - I want to learn Kannada.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?

Kazhugu (lit. Eagle) - La.Sa.Raamamirtham. Book that changed my life.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?

Kaaval Kottam - Su.Venkatesan. The book is staring at me for many years from the shelf now.

35. Favourite poet?

Not read many but of the few I read I like Nakulan. When it comes to classical poetry - Kamban.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?

The limit is 2. But sometimes I cheekily block some books for myself. Don't ask me how.

37. How often have you returned a book to the library unread?

One time. War and Peace by Tolstoy. I was 15 :P

38. Favourite fictional character?

Ignatius J.Reilly.

39. Favourite fictional villain?

Ignatius J.Reilly again.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?

My entire collection of La.Sa.Ramaamirtham.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.

2 years. All becasue of that man La.Sa.Ramaamirtham.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

Would not - not sure.

Could not- Mouni Padaippugal (lit. Complete works of Mouni)

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?

Ironically the book itself.

44. Favourite film adaptation of a novel?

Oru Oodhaappu Kan Simittugiradhu. Didn't like the book but the film adaptation was decent. Mom's recommendation BTW.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

Any of those douchiest Dan Brown-Ron Howard adaption. Hated the novels and movies with so much passion :D

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?

Such details are not on my ledger.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

As far back as I can remember I did it once while reading Exile by Charu Niveditha. There was a big section with ingredients for cooking something. So skimmed it right away.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?

<>.

49. Do you like to keep your books organised?

Surprisingly yes. I delegate that work to others in my family :D

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?

Since I take books mostly from library, its not a matter of choice for me. I would like to keep every one of them but they frown upon such things :P

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?

As I mentioned Kaaval Kottam by Su. Venkatesan. Have been avoiding Crime and Punishment before that, but hey, I started it now.

52. Name a book that made you angry.

Not sure about that but the one that got me worked up was L'Etranger (The Stranger) by Albert Camus.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

Old man and the sea - Hemingway

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?

The Age of Reason - Jean Paul Sartre.

55. Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading?

Any work of Sujatha